Rollover accidents are dangerous with any vehicle, but even more so when a big truck is involved in this type of crash. Passing motorists not only face the risk of having the truck land on their vehicle but may be impacted by whatever the truck happens to be hauling, which can include logs, heavy equipment or other potentially lethal items.
If you’ve been injured in a collision involving a truck that rolled over, call David Azizi 24/7 for a free review of your case at (800) 991-5292.
Because driver error is the main cause of big truck rollovers, those who are injured can claim compensation to pay for their lost wages, present and future medical bills, rehabilitation and pain and suffering. However, because trucks are heavily regulated by both the state and federal government, having an experienced truck accident lawyer by your side is important to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Trucking Lawyer in Los Angeles for Rollover Collisions
Truck accident injury attorney David Azizi has helped people in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas get financial compensation for their injuries and in wrongful death cases for more than 26 years. Because he has a vast knowledge of the law and is well-experienced in handling cases, David has a record of 98 percent wins for his clients. Super Lawyers, the legal ranking firm, calls David a top personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles year after year.
Call him at (800) 991-5292 to schedule a free, no-obligation appointment to review your case. He will discuss it with you, answer your questions, tell you what options are available and even give you a rough estimate of how much your case might be worth.
Types of Injuries in Rollover Accidents
Because of the enormous difference in size between a big truck and a passenger vehicle, serious injuries are common when a rollover is involved. For someone to walk away from this type of accident is rare. Some of the more serious injuries in a rollover accident with a big truck can include:
- Burn injuries: A tanker truck that is carrying flammable liquids or chemicals can catch fire and cause serious burns to others involved in the collision. Burn injuries are especially severe because they can be life-threatening and take up to years for recovery. The recovery itself can require multiple surgeries and an extended hospital stay. The burn victim frequently suffers scarring or other disfigurements as a result of the crash.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord can be incomplete or complete. An incomplete injury means that the spinal cord is partially damaged. The amount of sensation the patient has and the ability to still move depends on the injury. In a complete spinal cord injury, permanent damage occurs that can result in paraplegia or tetraplegia. In other words, the patient is paralyzed permanently, which may also affect the ability to breathe or the ability to control the bladder or bowels.
- Traumatic brain injury: Although a TBI can be relatively mild, such as a concussion, which heals in time, severe brain trauma can occur. In the most serious types of TBI, the patient may die or go into a coma and require around-the-clock care. In other TBIs, the patients may experience severe cognitive changes and be unable to care for themselves.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are a risk in any type of accident but can be severe in rollover accidents. Compound fractures are especially troublesome because the bone is protruding through the skin. Complications can include blood vessel or nerve damage and infection, which may prevent the wound from healing and cause further complications.
Causes of Truck Rollover Accidents
Big trucks exhibit a higher center of gravity. This can make them more prone to rollovers. However, there are several factors that can cause a truck rollover: These include:
- Speeding: Speeding by the driver of a large truck increases the danger of an accident. The driver is more likely to lose control when going around a curve or down a hill. Truckers know that they have to decrease their speed at the top of a hill to avoid an accident. In addition, speeding makes it less likely that a driver can stop or slow down in time to prevent an accident.
- Improperly secured cargo: Cargo that is improperly distributed can cause the trailer to lean to one side, especially on curves. That can cause it to topple over onto other vehicles sharing the roadway. An improperly secured load can also begin to sway just because the truck is moving. Swaying can increase until the weight shifts over to one side enough to cause a rollover.
- Aggressive driving: An aggressive driver ignores the safety of others on the roadway and can even endanger others. This can be exhibited by tailgating, cutting in and out of traffic, speeding and other actions. Eventually, this type of behavior can lead to a rollover accident as the driver’s recklessness goes out of control.
- Faulty brakes: Faulty brakes are the number one reason for accidents caused by big trucks. This can be due to a lack of proper maintenance or a defect in the brakes.
- Inexperienced driver: Since big trucks are so large and heavy, it is essential that the driver knows how to handle them and avoid an accident. Unfortunately, with a big shortage of drivers for these trucks, companies may resort to hiring inexperienced drivers.
- Worn or defective tires: A tire blowout while traveling at high speed down a highway can have dangerous consequences all on its own. The damaged tire can fly across the highway, striking another vehicle or causing hazardous road debris. Bad tires on a big truck that collapse or fly off can also weaken that side of the trailer, causing it to topple over.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers are not supposed to use their cell phones while driving, but some continue to do so. This is a form of distracted driving as well as eating or drinking, changing a radio station or other activities that take a hand off the steering wheel or eyes from the road. Glancing away for even a few seconds can result in a driver having to commit an emergency maneuver, which can cause a rollover.
Free Case Review with a Los Angeles Rollover Truck Accident Law Firm
David brings compassion and empathy to the table as well as his tireless efforts and legal acumen to obtain fair compensation for his clients. He understands that when you need legal advice, you need it now, so he is available seven days a week around the clock to talk to you. His work ethic and diligence all help him to get the compensation you need in 98 percent of the cases he handles. Call him at (800) 991-5292 to schedule your free case evaluation. You can also message him by using the online form on his website, and he will contact you as soon as possible.