When you’ve been injured in an accident involving slips and falls or trip and falls, you need the help David Azizi can provide. He works tirelessly to get the compensation you deserve and need. Super Lawyers called David a top-rated lawyer, and he proves that every day in his quest to make sure clients know he is there for them. If you’ve been injured, call us at (800) 991-5292 today. We’ll schedule a free, no-obligation case review where David will answer your questions and provide options.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
In the moments and hours after a slip and fall accident, it is important to stay calm. The most important decision you may make is whether you need emergency medical care. If so, tell the person in charge to call an ambulance. If you believe you can wait to see your physician, take a few moments to do the following:
- Take a picture of the dangerous condition that caused your accident. It is important to do this as soon as possible since it may disappear shortly after you leave. An employee may clean up the spill or remove the box you tripped over, and any record of what made you fall is gone for good.
- Tell the person in charge that you want to file an incident report. Most businesses have a policy for this. The form will ask you to describe your accident. Provide a straightforward explanation as you know it to be without conjecture. The store manager/person in charge will also provide information. Wait until you both have finished, and ask for a copy.
- While you are waiting, look around for witnesses to your accident. Some may have seen the incident in its entirety and can provide a full description. Get their contact information, and ask them to write what they saw down or use your cell phone to record what they say. Some witnesses may not have seen the accident happen but are able to see that you are injured. Go through the same steps as you did with the witnesses who saw you fall.
- See if any store, fast food or parking lot attendants saw your accident. Ask them to provide their contact info as well as their position with the business. They might have seen similar accidents in the past. Don’t hesitate to ask, and request that they write down everything they can remember about your fall. Ask how long the dangerous condition was present.
- Look around for video cameras. Whether you fell indoors or out, there are video cameras placed strategically today. Ask the person in charge for footage from the camera. It probably captured your accident. Look for nearby cameras too. The latter may show that employees were in the area where the dangerous condition was but chose to ignore it. This lack of care could weigh importantly in your case. Take a picture of the cameras for your attorney.
- As soon as you leave the accident site, head for your physician’s office. Let them know you are coming and that you have been in an accident. Most doctors will fit you in under those conditions. If not, there are urgent care centers in most areas.
- Make sure the doctor knows you were in an accident. Tell him or her how you feel and answer any questions the physician may ask. If further tests are ordered, make sure they are done. If medication is prescribed, fill the prescription and take the meds as the doctor ordered. When your visit is finished, ask for a copy of the doctor’s notes. This is a documentation of your injuries and links the injury to the accident.
- When you arrive home, put the clothes you wore and the shoes you had on in a plastic bag. They are tangible proof of the accident.
- Use your cell phone or another camera to take pictures of any bruises, cuts or other physical signs of the accident.
Start a diary and keep meticulous notes of how you feel, and fill it out every day. Often we think we will remember such things weeks or months later, but that usually does not happen.
Your attorney may ask you to provide additional information. Make every effort to do just that. The more evidence you have, the more likely you will win your case. Being proactive from the start is one way to help yourself after an accident.
The Law Offices of David Azizi: We’ll Help you Through a Difficult Time
When you experience injuries due to the negligence of another, you need a legal team that will fight to get the compensation you deserve. David has been the go-to place for slip and fall and trip and fall accidents for 24 years. He works with his clients to make sure all evidence is preserved. Call us at (800) 991-5292 today. We are here 24/7, seven days a week. If you cannot get to the office, we can come to you.