When you are injured in a slip and fall accident, your injuries bring financial damages. If the accident is due to someone else’s negligence, the damages are compensated by the negligent party. David Azizi, rated “superb” as a slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, will fight to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. Call (800) 991-5292 any time of the day, any day of the week. We will set up a free, no-obligation case evaluation. David wins 98-percent of his cases, and he will be there for you.
Compensation for Slip and fall Injuries
Slip and fall injuries can happen anywhere but are common in grocery stores, on city sidewalks, in private homes and parking lots. The seriousness of these injuries varies and can involve broken bones, spinal injuries and knee injuries. You may lose time at work or not be able to work at all. You may suffer mental and psychological damage. All of these consequences of negligent behavior have monetary counterparts. Recovering the monetary losses is referred to as compensation.
Damages Related to Slip and Fall Accidents
The damages in any slip and fall accident are divided into two main types:
Economic or Special Damages:
These damages are tangible and are easily calculated. They consist of:
- Medical expenses such as ambulance services, hospital bills, doctor office visits, emergency room costs, surgery, labs, X-rays, medication, nursing care at home and physical and rehabilitation therapy. This includes medical care immediately after the accident and medical services in the future.
- Lost wages are also part of the economic damages and involve the wages you would have collected had you not been injured and unable to work. If you cannot work in the future, you may qualify to include future lost wages.
- Household services are another aspect of economic damages and involve the duties the injured person normally attended to around the home. Since it may be impossible for the individual to perform the duties due to his or her injuries, it may be necessary to hire someone to do them.
Non-Economic or General Damages:
Such damages are subjective and they are specific for each case. They reflect the damages an accident inflicts on the victim’s everyday emotional, physical and mental enjoyment of life. It is not so simple to place a monetary value since the intensity varies from one person to another. General damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship/consortium
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to engage in activities
- Traumatization, including PTSD
How Will I Prove Slip and Fall Injury Damages?
It is necessary to provide proof of lost economic damages. You can do this by submitting bills for medical care, including hospital bills, private physician charges and bills for tests and medication. If you need to bring in outside help for the home, an invoice for the services will do. Lost wages are proven by submitting a tally of the wages you would have received from your employer. If you are self-employed, submitting paperwork showing what you expected to receive from clients can be sufficient. If more detail is needed, you will be asked to provide that. In the event that you are unable to work in the future, a description of future lost wages from a financial expert may be needed.
Non-economic damages are different. They are usually awarded by a jury or judge. Your personal injury attorney will present the damages to the court, and provide evidence to show why they exist. For example, if psychological trauma is a result of the accident, an expert in psychology may testify as to your emotional and psychological symptoms caused by the accident. The expert will also give his or her opinion on treatment and the residual damage, including monetary cost, you might expect in the future. The jury decides on a fair and adequate amount of compensation and is not held to a set calculation.
The Law Offices of David Azizi Will Help You Get the Compensation You Need
David Azizi understands the impact financial damages add to a slip, trip and fall accident. Having the resources to pay your bills and move on depends on the compensation you receive. David has been called one of the 20 best personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles by Expertise.com. This is not a simple accolade, but represents David’s standing in the community and his legal prowess. Call David at (800) 991-5292 today. There is a limited amount of time within which you can file a claim. Let us help you before the time runs out.